by Josephine Gorron
Antioxidants are molecules that wish us good. Good news, we can find it everywhere in our food!
WHAT IS AN ANTIOXIDANT?
An antioxidant is a chemical molecule naturally present in certain foods. It has the ability to defend the body against free radicals and helps protect cells.
Free radicals are substances produced by our body when we breathe. In small doses, they are harmless. On the other hand, in excess, they can damage our cells. This phenomenon is accentuated by certain external aggressions: UV rays from the sun, pollution, tobacco, alcohol, stress, poor diet, etc. This is called oxidative stress.
Don't panic! This is where antioxidants come in. They act as sort of “shields” by slowing down aging, delaying the weakening of the immune system and preventing the onset of diseases. Hence the importance of opting for a diet rich in antioxidants!
PROPERTIES NOT TO BE MISSED!
Antioxidants are the boosters our bodies need to be on top. Among them, carotenoids balance blood cholesterol levels. Thus, a regular consumption of orange foods would improve our vascular health. In addition, all the antioxidant molecules allow you to have lynx eyes, yes! Special mention for zeaxanthin, in corn and cauliflower and lutein, mainly in egg yolk and spinach.
Luminous skin, anyone? Again antioxidants give us a good boost. Indeed, it is possible to take care of your skin through food, this is called Beauty Food.
THE BEST ANTIOXIDANTS TO PUT ON OUR PLATES
• carotenoids are mainly present in orange fruits/vegetables: carrots, peppers, apricots, oranges, tangerines, melon, etc.
• Vitamin C is found in large amounts in parsley and citrus fruits. This vitamin is very fragile and disappears during cooking. So add a little vintage to your plate for maximum pep!
• Among the trace elements, I named zinc, copper and selenium. You can find them in wholemeal bread, seafood, egg yolk but also vegetables.
• Vitamin E, present in large part in vegetable oils, oilseeds and whole grains, regenerates cells by preserving their membranes.
• omega-3 are very present in small fatty fish and walnut and rapeseed oils.
• The polyphenols, which you probably already know from our article on chocolate and its benefits on mood and health, are also found in large quantities in fruits red.
Because antioxidants are so important, all Hygée formulas contain Acai and Moringa: a superfood and adaptogen known for their antioxidant powers. To best benefit from the virtues of antioxidants, consume a little every day. Remember to vary your sources and dare to put as many colors as possible on your plate. Plus, it's good for morale!
Dietitian - Nutritionist in a private practice, Joséphine is also passionate about yoga and meditation. Convinced that taking care of yourself through diet and physical effort are the keys to good health and general fulfillment, Joséphine offers her patients comprehensive support based on mindfulness and respect for the body.